Managing DataPower Orchestration Policy
Description of functions and tools for managing a DataPower Orchestration Policy.Using Orchestration Policy Orchestration Policy Activities Managing Policies
Table of Contents
- Add Activity
- Configure Reply
- Sequence Orchestration Policy Activities
- Attach Orchestration Policy to Service Operation
- Delete Orchestration Policy Activity
- Modify Orchestration Policy Activity
Each "Orchestration Policy" includes an Add Activity function allows you add one or more activities to the current policy definition. See Orchestration Policy Activities for a list of supported activities.
- In the "Add Activity" section, you can add one or more activities to the "Orchestration Policy" by selecting an activity name from the drop-down list box and clicking Add.
- Each "Orchestration Policy" must include one "Invoke Service" activity that is enabled as a Backend Service.
- When you initially create an "Orchestration Policy" an "Invoke Service" activity is added to the policy by default with the "Designate as Backend Service" enabled.
- If you attempt to save an "Orchestration Policy" and it does not include an "Invoke Service" activity with the "Designate as Backend Service" enabled, the system will raise an error and will not allow you to save the policy until the backend service requirement is met.
- You can add any number of activities based on your requirements.
- You must configure a "Reply" for each activity. See Configure Reply.
- You can sequence activities using the Move Up and Move Down buttons. See Sequence Orchestration Policy Activities.
To add an activity:
- On the "Orchestration Policy Details," click Modify. The "Modify Orchestration Policy" screen displays and includes a default "Invoke Service" activity.
- Configure the default "Invoke Service" policy to meet your requirements. See Invoke Service Activity for a functional overview.
- To add additional policies, in the "Add Activity" section, select an activity name from the drop-down list box. See Orchestration Policy Activities for a list of supported activities.
- Configure a "Reply" for your activity. See Configure Reply.
- Sequence your activities to the desired execution order. See Sequence Orchestration Policy Activities.
Each "Orchestration Policy" includes a "Reply" that is located at the bottom of the policy. A "Reply" represents the message you want to send back to the user (i.e., client) of the virtual service.
You can reply with the default message (i.e., Message) or specify a User-Defined message.
Note: The Reply applies to the entire policy configuration.
Sequence Orchestration Policy Activities
Each Activity in an "Orchestration Policy" includes a button bar that includes Move Up and Move Down buttons. After you have defined activities for your Orchestration Policy, you can sequence the order of execution using these buttons. When a sequencing option is not available, it will display grayed out.
Attach Orchestration Policy to Service Operation
Because each Orchestration Policy defines the workflow for a specific service operation, it must also be attached to that service operation.
- The policy must be attached via the "Policy Attachments Portlet" at the Organization > Services > Operations level.
- The policy should be attached in the "Operation" section of the Operational Policy Attachments Portlet, and not the "Input Message" or "Output Message" sections.
- See Manage Operational Policy Attachments (Operations) for more information.
Figure. Attach Orchestration Policy
Delete Orchestration Policy Activity
If you have an activity that you would like to remove from the "Orchestration Policy" configuration, you can select the Delete button located on the button bar in each activity.
Figure. Orchestration Policy Delete
Modify Orchestration Policy Activity
To modify an Orchestration Policy, select Modify on the Orchestration Policy Details page.