Overview of the basic actions you can perform to manage policies, and tools for managing policy definitions.
Table of Contents
- Add Policy
- Attach Policy
- Modify Policy Information
- Change Organization
- Copy Policy
- Delete Policy
- Export Policy
- View Policy References
Policy Management Functions
The following policy management functions apply to policy definitions in the Policies folder. They are available on the Policy Summary drop-down menu or via the Actions Portlet on the Policies > Details page.
Used to define policies that are used to manage web service endpoints. Notes:
- A policy is initialized with a default configuration. You can then customize the policy to address the unique requirements of your web service management system.
- When you've configured the policy, you'll need to activate it via the Policy Workflow Portlet before it is visible and available for attachment in the hierarchy tree of the Policy Attachments Portlet.
- After you've activated the policy, you can then "attach" it to objects it will be managing, including Organizations, Services, Operations, Bindings, and Access Points.
To add a policy:
On the main Policies Summary page, select Add Policy, select a policy type, and assign a name and description. The Add Policy Wizard creates a policy instance that you can modify on the Policy Details page.
Policies defined in the policies object (the Policies Folder) can be assigned to an organization, and to six different elements of a service. Each policy assignment is based on the business requirements defined for policies supported in each policy category (Compliance, Operational, and QoS) in addition to custom defined policies. Notes:
- When a policy is assigned at the "Service Details" level, the policy is referenced in all other elements of the service (operations, bindings, access points).
- When a policy is referenced in a "Policy Attachments Portlet," it is preceded with "(from <object name>)."
- Once a policy is referenced, it can only be removed at the source attachment point (in the Policy Attachments Portlet of the service).
- You can add additional policies to each service element using the "Policy Attachments Portlet" in each Management Console section.
To attach a policy:
Go to the Policy Attachments portlet on the Policy Details page where you would like to attach a policy, and select Manage. Select a policy from the tree and save the configuration.
Modify Policy Information
Allows you to change the name and description of a policy.
Allows you to move the current policy configuration to a new Organization.
- Note that you can only move referenced policies (policies that are attached to an object) within the current Policy Scope (for example, Organization, Service, or Operation).
- If you want to move a policy to a different Organization, the references must stay in scope.
- To determine what references a policy might have, go to the current policy and then select View Policy References.
- To remove policy references, unattach the policy via the Policy Attachments Portlet.
Allows you to replicate a policy definition and assign a new Policy Name and Policy Key. Using this function you can configure elements that represent core functionality of a policy, replicate them to a new policy, and then perform additional customization on the copy.
Deletes the selected policy definition. In order to delete a policy, it cannot be "Referenced" (attached to one or more objects). The number of policy references is indicated on the Policies Summary page, in the "#" column. To view policies, select View Policy References.
If you would like to delete a policy, you must remove the policy attachment via Policy Attachments Portlet.
Provides a method of exporting a policy definition to a "Package" file. This "Package" file can then be imported into a different Policy Manager deployment using the "Import Package" function.
View Policy References
Displays a list of objects that the current policy is referencing.