Using the Bandwidth Quota Policy
Learn how to configure the bandwidth cap (quota) that a consumer can upload or download at any given time.
Supported Platforms: 7.x, 8.0
Table of Contents
- Bandwidth Quota Policy Options
- Use Cases for Policy Manager
- Use Cases for the Akana API Platform (Community Manager)
A Bandwidth Quota Policy is a Quality of Service (QoS) Policy that allows you to configure the bandwidth cap (quota) that a consumer can upload or download at any given time. You can specify the bandwidth cap as kilobytes or megabytes per second. If the quota is exceeded, the runtime throttles the traffic to conform to the quota policy. You can assign the quote to the request (upload) or the response (download).
Note: No alerts are generated for this policy, since the bandwidth consumed is a function of the network speed and capabilities of the service provider, not the consumer.
Bandwith Quota Policy Options
The policy includes the configuration options listed below.
Bandwidth Quota Policy Details
- Name: A read-only field that displays the name of the Bandwidth Quota Policy.
- Description: A read-only field that displays the description of the Bandwidth Quota Policy.
- Bandwidth Limit: A field display and drop-down list box combination that allows you to specify the bandwidth limit and select the data transfer rate from the drop-down list box (kilobytes or megabytes).
- Request / Response: A radio button that allows you to select whether the defined bandwidth quota applies to the uploads (request), or downloads (response).
Let's take a quick walkthrough of the Bandwidth Quota Policy configuration process to get you started.
Step 1: Add Policy
In Policy Manager, to create a Bandwidth Quota Policy instance, go to Policies > QoS Policies and choose Add Policy.
Step 2: Modify Policy
When you click Modify to make changes to the Bandwidth Quota Policy on the Policy Details page, the initial policy looks like this:
Configure the policy options based on your requirements and click Apply.
Step 3: Attach Policy
After you've saved your policy, you can attach it to a web service, operation, or binding.
Step 4: Test Policy and View Monitoring Data
After you've attached the Bandwidth Quota Policy to a web service, operation, or binding, send a request to your service and go to the Services > Monitoring section to view the results for Logs, Real Time Charts, and Historical Charts. For more information on using the monitoring functions, refer to the Policy Manager Online Help, available via the Help button.
Use Cases for Policy Manager
For a list of Policy Manager-specific use cases for the Bandwidth Quota Policy, refer to Bandwidth Quota Policy Usage Scenarios for Policy Manager.
Use Cases for the Akana API Platform (Community Manager)
For a list of Community Manager-specific use cases for the Bandwidth Quota Policy, refer to Click Bandwidth Quota Policy Usage Scenarios for Community Manager.