Connect your app to an API and manage connections.
API Platform Version: 8.1 and later
Table of Contents
- What are Connections?
- What is the API approval process?
- How do I see the status of my app's connections to APIs?
- How do I update approved API Access Requests?
- Related Topics
What are Connections?
A Connection is a relationship or subscription between Resources (API, App, Group, Contract, User) in the system. When a Connection to a Resource is established, the Connection will appear in the appropriate collection point in for both Resources.
Connections are established in two ways:
- When you create your app, connections to one or more APIs might be created automatically. If automatic connections are created, you can manage them in the same way as connections you create yourself (see #2 below).
- By sending a Connection Request. Each Connection Request follows a specific workflow process and a series of management tools are provided to control the lifecycle of the Connection. When a user creates a Connection to a Resource, the Resource administrators are notified of the pending request, and will see the Connection in the Connections Collection for the Resource. Users will also see the Connection in their personal Connections Collection.
For example, if API Access is requested for one or more Apps, an entry for the API and App will appear on the API Details > Apps and App Details > APIs pages. Because these activities relate to specific Users (who are also considered Resources), feed entries associated with the activities are added to the Forum and Dashboard of both the API and App owner.
There are several types of connections:
|API Access Request||An App Administrator requests access to an API. Access must be approved by the API Admin. Note: API Access Requests are considered a Contract Connection because legal agreements are agreed to or declined during the API Access Request configuration process.
|Follow||A user subscribes to a resource (for example, API, App) to receive information.
What is the API approval process?
When an API Access Request is submitted:
- A notification is posted on the API Administrator's Dashboard page.
- Forum entry:
- A Forum entry is posted to the app's forum: My Apps > App > Forum.
- A Forum entry is posted to the user's forum: top navigation bar > Forum.
- The API is added to My APIs > API name > Apps with a "Pending Approval" status.
- The API Administrator reviews the API Access Request.
- If the submitted API complies with the required approval criteria, the API Administrator approves the request, the ticket is updated to an "Approved" status, and the table entry for the API in My Apps > API Name > APIs is updated to an "Activated" status.
- After API access is activated, you can use the API in the applicable environment.
How do I see the status of my app's connections to APIs?
You can review the status of your app's connections with APIs, including pending and active API access requests, in the My Apps > App > APIs page. This page provides a high-level summary of the status of all current API access contracts and pending API access requests.
Each listing includes:
- Apps—The App Name. This link clicks through to the app's Details page.
- Legals—A column that indicates whether the Legal Agreements have been accepted (Check = Accepted, No Check = No Accepted).
- Sandbox / Live—Represent the two implementations that an API Access Request can be submitted for. Each column displays the current status of the API Access Request and available API management functions (for example, Cancel). The valid actions for a specific contract are determined by the current state of the contract; for example, only a contract in a state of Activated can be cancelled. For more information on API access states and valid actions, see What is the default workflow for API contracts?
The following table shows App Status and App Management Tasks for apps that have requested access to the current API using the API Access function:
|Access Requested||An App has requested access to an API but the request has not been approved and activated in the Sandbox or Live implementation.|
|Active||API Access has been approved and activated.|
|Inactive||API access has not yet been requested.|
|Rejected||The API Access Request has been rejected.|
|Suspended||API Access that was previously active has been suspended by the API Admin.|
|App Management Task||Description|
|Cancel||Cancels an API Access Request. Listing is removed from the API Connections page. Requestor must submit another request to initiate the process again.|
|Revise||Takes you to the API Access wizard to revise the contract.|
|API Access Request Task||Description|
|Approve||Approves the API Action Request.
Note that the request still requires activation after it has been approved.
|Reject||Rejects the API Action Request.|
|Cancel||Cancels the API Action Request. Requestor must submit another request to initiate the process again.|
|Activate||Activates the API Access Request.|
|Revise||Modify the contract.|
How do I update approved API Access Requests?
You cannot modify an existing, approved or activated API access contract. Only the API Admin or Business Admin can modify a contract.
You can cancel or revise an existing contract. Follow the applicable step below:
- Cancel: From the app's Details page, in the left menu bar, click APIs. Find the contract on the list; click the arrow to the right of the contract and choose Cancel. At the prompt, enter a comment and click Confirm.
- Cancel: From the app's Details page, in the left menu bar, click APIs. Find the contract on the list; click the arrow to the right of the contract and choose Revise. The API Access Wizard opens. Change values as needed and click Save.