Request access to an API's Live implementation, activate your app, and manage API access contracts.
API Platform Version: 8.1 and later
Table of Contents
- How do I request access to the Live implementation for an API?
- How do I switch to a Live implementation?
- How do I deactivate my app's access to an API's Live implementation?
How do I request access to the Live implementation for an API?
After you've tested your app and are ready to launch, it's time to request access to the API's Live implementation, using the API Access Wizard. See To request access to the Live implementation below.
Note: Before you can make a call to an API you must add credentials to your app. See How do app credentials work?
Contract Generation and Approval:
After the API Access Request is completed, a contract post is created and the request is submitted to the Admin Team for approval.
- You can view the contract in the My Apps > choose app > Forum.
- The contract is labeled as an "API Access Request" and is identified with a Contract Icon.
- If the request is automatically approved, the post status will display as "Activated."
- If the request is not approved, the status will display as "Pending Approval."
- Pending requests are reviewed and approved by the Admin Team.
- If you request access for the Live implementation, an API Access Request contract is not created for the Sandbox environment.
- After the Live Access Request is approved, to gain access to the Sandbox environment, you must run the API Access function again to generate a new contract for the Sandbox environment.
- Note that contracts are cancelled when you switch environments. This means that new contracts must be generated using the API Access function each time you would like to switch Sandbox/ Live implementations.
To request access to the Live implementation:
- Go to the Overview page for the API.
- Click Access. The API Access Wizard opens at the Select App page.
- Find your app on the list, if there is more than one, and click the Add button.
- Click Next to go to the Endpoint page.
- Choose the implementation you're requesting access to, and then click Next or Save.
- Conditional: if there are policies, the third page, Policies, is displayed. Here you will select the Quality of Service (QoS) policies you would like to use to monitor the API service level. To select a policy, click the check box in the "Select" column of each policy you would like to assign to the current API. This page displays only if policies are defined as part of the deployment.
- Click Next or Save. If the current API includes one or more legal agreement, the Legal Agreements page is displayed.
- Review the legal agreements for the API and click Accept or Decline.
- The selected API might require acceptance to multiple legal agreements. If acceptance of multiple legal agreements is required, click on the tab to view each legal agreement. You must accept all legal agreements. If there are no additional legal agreements, click Submit.
The API Access Request is processed, and an API Access Request ticket is posted to the App Forum for the related app with a Pending status. The ticket is identified with a Contract Request Icon. The API is also visible in the APIs Connected section of the app's Details page.
The Access Request is also posted to the APIs > App and App > APIs pages with a status of Access Requested. Upon approval by the API Admin, the API Access Request status changes to Active. Access to the API is granted and the API is visible in the APIs Connected section of the app's Details page.
After this step, you must add the endpoint for the Live implementation to your app. Refer to the API documentation in the API > Documentation section for more information.
For more information on managing connections, see How do I see the status of my app's connections to APIs?
How do I switch to a Live implementation?
After the API Access Request for your app has been approved and activated, the final step in the process is to activate. This is accomplished using the Activate function on the My Apps > APIs : Connections page.
To go live:
- Navigate to My Apps > App > APIs. Your app will display with an "Activated" status. If it still has an "Approved" status, this means that the API Provider has not yet approved your API Access Request.
- To go live with your app, click Switch to Live. The "Switch to Live request successful" message displays. Your app is now live.
How do I deactivate my app's access to an API's Live implementation?
You can deactivate app access at any time.
To deactivate your app's access to an API's Live implementation:
- Navigate to your Dashboard or App Forum and locate the "API Access Request" notification associated with this contract.
- Click Cancel.