Minor-Version Update Notes
Notes and additional information about upgrading from a major version to a minor version, or updating from a minor version to another minor version; for example, 2018.0.1 to 2018.0.3 or 2019.0.1 to 2019.0.4.
Table of Contents
- Checking for version-specific steps
- Common upgrade errors in version 8.4x
- Summary of version-specific steps for version 8.4x
If you're updating from a major or micro version to a later micro update—for example, version 8.4.1 to 8.4.22—it's important to follow through the entire upgrade procedure. Even though it's a micro-release, it's important that you don't miss any steps. Be sure to:
- Check for version-specific steps: see Checking for version-specific steps.
- For version 8.4x: Review common errors and make sure you don't skip those steps: see Common upgrade errors in version 8.4x.
Checking for version-specific steps
In some cases, upgrading to a specific micro-version might require an additional step that isn't part of the core upgrade process, such as a specific configuration task.
In defining the upgrade process you're going to follow, check for information in these places:
- The main upgrade instructions for the main version you're upgrading to. Go to Upgrading the Akana API Platform (all versions) and choose the correct version.
- Release notes for the micro version you're upgrading to: Check for any additional upgrade steps that might be covered in the release notes for the specific micro version. Release notes are available online at https://docs.roguewave.com/en/akana/akana-release-notes.
For version 8.4, you can find this information in Summary of version-specific steps for version 8.4x below.
- Version-specific upgrade notes in the upgrade documentation. For 2019.1.x, see Check for version-specific upgrade notes.
Common upgrade errors in version 8.4x
Here are some reminders for specific tasks that are part of the standard upgrade process but are sometimes forgotten, either in a major or minor upgrade, causing problems with the installation. The instructions below are for upgrade to version 8.4.x:
- Setting up the update.properties file correctly for the version, if you're using Silent Upgrade mode. See Upgrade container to Akana API Platform 8.4 (silent upgrade) (this is part of Step 2-6: Upgrade container).
- When upgrading existing containers: Clear browser cache before launching the upgraded Akana Administration Console. If you don't clear the browser cache and refresh, you won't see the user interface changes included in the update (if any). See Step 2-10: Clear browser cache.
- When upgrading existing containers: After upgrade, turn scheduled jobs back on. Part of the upgrade process is turning off the scheduled jobs; but it's important to turn them back on afterwards (simple.scheduler.enabled and org.quartz.scheduler.enable properties both set to true). This step must be run on one container that's connected to the database. Refer to the following steps in the upgrade documentation:
Summary of version-specific steps for version 8.4.x
Version 8.4 includes the following version-specific steps shown below. If you're upgrading from a version before to a version after any of the below items, be sure to include that step in your upgrade process.
|This version...||Included the following specific upgrade step...|
Version 8.4.6 includes an optional JRE update required for the platform's support of a specific HSM device.
The version of the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) that the platform uses was upgraded to version 1.8.0_144. This was needed for the platform’s support of the Thales HSM NCipher security provider.
If you're not using an HSM, upgrading is not necessary. However, because the JRE is bundled with the Akana Platform installation, if you want the JRE upgrade you'll need to get the full ZIP file that includes it. Follow the basic instructions for downloading and installing files from the Akana Support Site (see Step 1-3: Gather ZIP files and create folder), but:
Two additional steps: